Thursday, October 20, 2016

Rutgers Student Gives Back to Latin America in More Ways Than Spanish TV


By Tim Catalfamo



Osorio loves studying culture & Latin America

Ethel Osorio, a Journalism major at Rutgers University, is someone who hopes to work for Spanish TV and give back to Latin America with her Spanish upbringings and education in more ways than reporting.

She dreams of leaving the United States and returning to her native country of Honduras because she has always had a passion for the Latino communities’ culture, customs, and traditions.

Osorio says that the idea of pursuing a career at a Spanish TV network and covering areas of Latin America interests her because she loves telling stories.

“I love journalism because I love telling stories. Every time my family gets together, we tell stories and I just love it. We are storytellers.”

In addition to having a passion for telling stories, she said she realizes the need for good reporters covering positive stories in Latin American countries mainly due to the unfair and biased reporting that exists due to governments controlling some of the media.

“Many journalists in Latin America are bribed by the government in power in order to pledge their allegiance to them. This causes many of the news stations to be corrupt and misleading. I would love to provide the people with news they can trust. I would like them to trust me.”

Reporting on Latino culture isn’t the only thing Osorio hopes to accomplish in her career. She one day hopes to help open a bi-lingual school to help elementary school children learn and become well-versed in both the English and Spanish language.

She wants the school to not just be for wealth Latinos but also for those who are less-privileged and make up Latin America’s poor community.

Osorio believes that those children should be given the same right to a good education as those who are wealth so they can better themselves some day and have an opportunity to grow to their full potential.

However, the one thing that drives her more than anything else is Latin American culture and the idea of someday covering it for a living.

“I’m just so into culture and language. Growing up as a Latina, I have always felt the need to give back to my community and dedicating myself to uncovering stories in this part of the world is how I aim to do it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment