Thursday, March 2, 2017

Rutgers student pursues sportswriting dream

Asia Dockery

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J., Feb. 8 – Rutgers University sophomore Jordan Farbowitz holds one of the dozens of writing positions at the Daily Targum. He is a sportswriter who regularly covers the Rutgers University men’s track and field team. A position he hopes to be the first stepping stone in a sports journalism career, he said.


“I thought this would be a great way to get my name out and have people see my work,” said Farbowitz.


He wrote his first article for the Targum last spring. It detailed the team’s win at the Metropolitan Indoor Championships.


He said the article is his proudest achievement.


“It was really cool to see my name in the newspaper next to an article I wrote,” said Farbowitz. “It was the first time something I wrote was physically published, so it made me proud.”


Farbowitz revealed his usual process when crafting a story for the Targum.


“I take the game results and write a story based on it,” he said. “Then I’ll get interviews with the players and the coaches to add to the story.”


From the first sight of the Yankees’ famed striped uniforms, the 20-year-old has a harbored and undeniable love for sports. Growing up Farbowitz and his dad frequented his baseball games together fostering an appreciation for the game.


The Teaneck native spends his free time following his favorite baseball and football teams.


Articles from major sites like ESPN and Sports Illustrated are an inspiration to the rookie writer. He aspires to write for the very same sports sites and publications he regularly browses.


Farbowitz is already paving the way for his dream job. Along with his Daily Targum position, he writes for the online student-operated site Armchair All-Americans.


Although fortunate for the opportunity, he admits that covering track for the Targum can be boring.


“I like Armchair because I don't have to cover a specific beat,” said Farbowitz. “I have more freedom to  what I write.”


Farbowitz reports on the Rutgers’ basketball, football and baseball teams for the online sports site. He also profiles standout players and buzzed-about high school recruits.


Once the season starts, he wants to cover the Rutgers’ baseball team for the Daily Targum as well.


However, writing is just the start for this 20-year-old Journalism and Media Studies major.


“The one thing I like more than writing about sports is talking about sports,” said Farbowitz.


He hopes to transition into sports TV and radio at some point in his journalism career.

In the meantime, Farbowitz is interested in joining one Rutgers’ student-operated radio stations, WRSU.

No comments:

Post a Comment