Monday, November 13, 2017

NJ freeze takes over Rutgers

By: Christopher Tangarife

As Derrick Neves gets up from his dorm and begins his morning ritual, he feels the cold air hit him like a car as his feet touch the ice cold floor.

He quickly grabs over to his phone and opens the weather app to see exactly how cold the temperature has drop only to find that it is now hovering in the 40s.

A complete flip from the 70 degree weather experience last week where shorts roamed free. 

Now Derrick must decide if this is a cold blast that will fade in the afternoon or if he must pull out his winter jacket from the dark corner of his closet.

“Dude, this weather is just annoying at this point. I usually dress for the day since I’m in classes for most of the day and don’t feel like going back to my dorm just to change my clothes. So now if I dress incorrectly, I’m either cold for the day or sweating in class with my heavy winter clothes. “
As the weather continues to change in dramatic fashion, Derrick along with fellow students must adapt to the ever changing temperatures throughout their day on campus.

Speaking to Daniel Martinez, a 21 year old student, he says that he simply packs a pair of shorts on the days that start off cold and might get hot later on. He looks at multiple news apps in order to try and get an idea of how the weather will be for the day.

Students are simply taking this as being immersed in the college life by adapting what life throws at you when you’re no longer living with your parents.

Sarah Martinez added that “If you want to know what NJ is in a basic nutshell, this weather will tell you everything you need to know. One day you could be wearing a cute top and the next day you could look like an overstuffed bear wearing 3 sweaters and winter jacket. “

Dorms are also not the most well insulated places, you can feel the cold creep in from all over the room.  When you are a college student, you love sleep, and when something gets in the way of that you grow a hatred for it. 

“I hate waking up in the middle of the night because of the temperature all of a sudden dropping and me freezing my ass off. It’s not like I can turn on the heater and turn it off at will, the dorms suck and I have to try and adapt to it, which I guess is part of the college life in a way “says Derrick Neves.

Things won’t be getting any better with Artic blast looking to hit NJ this week with a possibility of snow on top of that.  

Students will be bundling up very quickly in preparation for this Artic blast , with trips to the clothing store and food market they will sure be trying to stay warm and filled during this winter.
Derrick added “I’d rather be over bundled and warm then freezing my nads off because I was cheap or brushed aside the weather signs.”



No comments:

Post a Comment